These Reese’s Cup topped Sea Otter Cupcakes could not be cuter even if they popped right off the movie screen. Inspired by the adorable otters in the Finding Dory movie, these sweet desserts will make perfect party treats.
Have you seen the darling sea otters from Finding Dory?
They are the most adorable fur balls and I am in love with them. As soon as I saw a picture of the animated characters, I immediately envisioned them in cupcake form. That is just how my mind works. I see something cute and I picture it as food.
I have to admit that since I began blogging about food crafts, pretty much everything I look at transforms into food in my mind. But, not all of my ideas turn out as cute as these Sea Otter Cupcakes.
To make these cupcakes, I chose to use Reese’s Cups for the otter’s heads and I decorated them using modeling chocolate, also known as candy clay, and some candies. I love working with modeling chocolate because not only does it taste just like chocolate, but it can be molded and cut into any shape imaginable.
For these Sea Otter Cupcakes, you are going to need to have some black, brown, and white modeling chocolate. All of these can be made by adding food coloring to white modeling chocolate, but being I always have modeling chocolate on hand, I used milk chocolate for the brown and semi sweet chocolate colored with black food coloring for the black.
If you’ve never made your own modeling chocolate, it is super easy. You just need your favorite chocolate and some corn syrup (or honey.) I suggest you use chocolate that you really like to eat because the flavor will really shine through.
Before I share the step-by-step-tutorial for creating these Sea Otter Cupcakes, I want to share a link to a Facebook Live Demonstration I did the other night. I showed the audience how to make these cupcakes.
I also shared a peek inside my very own chocolate factory.
Wasn’t that fun? It was my first foray into Facebook Live and I had a blast. I’ll be doing more, so be sure to like my Hungry Happenings Facebook page so you can see future video tutorials.
So, let’s make some sea otter cupcakes.
Start by marbleizing some white and brown modeling chocolate together. I show how to do this on the video or you can check out my Chocolate Pretzel Turkeys tutorial to see pictures of the process.
Roll out the chocolate clay and cut out two small circles for each sea otter. I used a 1 inch round cutter that has a fluted edge, but you can use a plain round cutter.
Then use a pick tool or a toothpick to create whiskers on each modeling chocolate circle.
Then roll out some black modeling chocolate and cut out small round eyes. I used a medium sized plunger cutter, which is so easy to use.
You can also cut a drinking straw into a short piece and use it to cut your circles.
To create the sea otter’s nose, pinch off about a jelly bean size of black candy clay and shape it into an oval nose.
To make the otter’s ears, roll out some brown modeling chocolate to about 1/4 inch thickness. Use the same round plunger cutter to cut out two circles per otter.
Then cut each circle into a 3/4 moon shape. Use the plunger cutter to cut out a small piece from each circle.
Now you are ready to assemble your sea otters.
You’ll need one Reese’s Cup per otter and either some melted chocolate or some piping gel. I like using the piping gel because it’s clear and will hold the decorations on well.
Brush a light coating of piping gel or melted chocolate onto the back side of the two round whiskers pieces and attach them across the lower half of a Reese’s Cup. Use more piping gel to attach a nose and two eyes, as well.
Brush piping gel on the cut side of each candy ear and press them onto the side of the peanut butter cup directly across from the otter’s eyes.
Add a dot of bright white food coloring to add the highlight to each eye.
Draw on a mouth, eyebrows, and a furry patch near the top of each otter’s head using a black food coloring marker.
Pipe a big swirl of stiff chocolate frosting onto a chocolate cupcake. Snuggle a Reese’s Cup Sea Otter into the top half of the frosting swirl.
Print out the printable wave cupcake wrappers then cut out around them. Wrap one around the cupcake and tape the seams together.
Press two Whoppers into the front of the frosting swirl creating the otter’s paws. Then press one candy sea shell in between the hands.
Sea Otter Cupcakes – Finding Dory Treats
To make your own Sea Otter Cupcakes you’ll need some supplies which you can find on Amazon.com (commission earned for sales.)
- 12 Reese's Cups
- 1 ounce white modeling chocolate
- 2 ounces brown modeling chocolate
- 2 ounces black modeling chocolate
- 1 teaspoon piping gel or melted chocolate
- 12 chocolate cupcakes frosted with a big swirl of chocolate frosting
- 24 Whoppers
- 12 candy sea shells
- Unwrap Reese's Cups.
- Marbleize white modeling chocolate with half of the brown modeling chocolate.
- Roll out to about 1/16th inch thickness.
- Cut 24 small rounds using a 1 inch round (fluted) cutter.
- Use a pick tool to draw on whiskers, feathering the edges of the circles.
- Roll out the remaining brown modeling chocolate to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out 24 small 1/4 inch rounds using a medium round plunger cutter.
- Cut each circle into a 3/4 moon, using the plunger cutter.
- Roll out half of the black modeling chocolate.
- Cut out 24 small 1/4 inch circles using a medium round plunger cutter.
- Pinch off jelly bean size pieces of the remaining black modeling chocolate and roll it into oval noses.
- Use piping gel as "glue" to attach two whiskers, a nose, and two eyes to the front of each Reese's cups.
- Attach two of the brown moon shaped pieces to either side of the Reese's cup for the ears.
- Set the decorated Reese's Cup otter on the upper half of the frosting swirl on a cupcake.
- Print out a wave cupcake wrapper, cut it out, then wrap it around your cupcake, taping the ends together.
- Press two Whoppers into the frosting just above the top of the waves and set a candy shell in between.
- Repeat creating a total of 12 Sea Otter Cupcakes.
If you are hosting a Finding Dory party, you might also like to make these Just Keep Swimming packs of Finding Dory Popcorn.
See the tutorial and free “Just Keep Swimming” printable for these Finding Dory Popcorn treats, here.
You might also like to make these other festive beach themed treats for you summer parties. (As I add the tutorials for all these posts, the links will be added below. They will all be posted by the end of summer 2016.)
Sugar Coated Sea Horse Cookies • Chocolate Beach Pails • Butterscotch Crunch Starfish
Sandcastle Lollipops • Caramel Rice Krispie Turtles • Beach Party Popcorn
Under the Sea Popcorn • Beach Ball Cheesecakes • Under the Sea Gumdrops
Caramel Rice Krispie Treat Starfish • Chocolate Sea Shells • Rice Kripie Treat Dolphins
Sugar Coated Sea Horse Cookies • Sugar Coated Sea Horse Cookies • Palm Tree Cookies