Warm the hearts and fill the bellies of your family by serving a festive Christmas appetizer. When you pull this Skillet Dip Snowman out of the oven everyone will "ooh" and "ahh," before ripping off pieces of salty bread so they can scoop up the creamy chicken dip in the middle.
Making cute Christmas appetizers can really enhance your guest's experience, but I know many of you just don't have a lot of time to devote to creating complicated edible crafts.
Well, this recipe is for you.
The hot chicken dip surrounded by a ring of salty dinner rolls can be whipped up in about 15 minutes, popped into the oven while you get ready for your guests to arrive, and decorated in a snap before they do.
NOTE: This holiday appetizer recipe was originally written and published at Christmastime in 2015. I realize many of my readers will not be celebrating the holidays with party guests in 2020, but I wanted to update this Christmas themed appetizer recipe because it makes a wonderful snack or meal to share with your immediate family.
Be sure to check out all my fun Christmas Recipes!
To keep this recipe super simple, I used store-bought bread dough and a 5-ingredient chicken dip, then decorated it using a carrot and some black olives.
Being snowmen are white, I needed a dip that was white too.
Fortunately, my family's favorite dip worked perfectly. It's a hot chicken dip that's simply made by blending together shredded chicken breast, cream cheese, Miracle Whip, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce.
Arrange bread dough in skillet.
- You must use a 10-inch oven-safe non-stick skillet to make this dip. The handle of the skillet must be able to withstand high heat.
- To make the ring of salty bread, simply cut a tube of French Bread dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll the pieces into balls, pinching the seams together as needed then arrange them around the edge of the pan.
What else can I use?
- You can use a homemade pizza crust recipe instead if you prefer the flavor of homemade bread. Just roll the dough into balls and arrange them in the skillet. You can ever stuff some cheese inside the pizza crust if you like.
- You can also use store-bought tubes of pizza dough. It's basically the same thing as the French Bread in a tube.
- If you have frozen dinner roll dough you can use that as well.
- Spoon the chicken dip in the center of the skillet and spread out so it touches the bread dough.
- Bake it until the bread is baked through for about 32-38 minutes.
- The dip will be slightly browned when you remove it from the oven. I wanted my dip to look white, so I stirred it up so that the browned bits get mixed in.
Decorate the Christmas Dip
- To decorate the snowman you'll need two whole extra-large olives, one small tip of a carrot for the nose, and 7 small round pieces of olive for the snowman's smile. You can cut the olives using a round plunger cutter or simply slice off round pieces from the sides of the olives.
- Add the decorations to the top of the dip and serve while it's hot.
If you prefer you could make this fun Christmas appetizer using a skillet pizza dip. Just be sure to top it with lots of Mozzarella cheese.
Be sure to watch the video to see how easy it is to create this cute Christmas appetizer.
Creamy chicken dip surrounded by puffs of French bread decorated with olives and a carrot to look like a cute snowman. This Skillet Dip Snowman is the perfect appetizer for any Christmas party.
- SKILLET DIP SNOWMAN
- 1 tube Pillsbury French Bread dough or 11-14 ounces of your favorite bread dough
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- sea salt or kosher salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 12 ounces shredded chicken 1 large can
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 extra-large black olives
- 1 carrot
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Brush some butter on the inside of a 10-inch skillet.
Cut bread dough into 12 slices.
Roll each slice into balls.
Arrange the balls around the edge of the skillet.
Brush with melted butter and sprinkle on some salt.
Combine the cream cheese, shredded chicken, Miracle Whip, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce in a large mixing bowl.
Beat with an electric mixer until well blended.
Spoon dip into the center of the skillet.
Spread it into an even layer so that it touches the edge of the bread balls.
Bake for 32-38 minutes until the bread is baked through and lightly brown.
Meanwhile, cut 7 round slices from 4 of the black olives.
Cut the carrot into a 3-4 inch pointed piece.
Remove the skillet from the oven and brush more butter over the bread pieces.
Decorate the dip with 2 whole black olive eyes, one carrot nose, and 7 black olive buttons in the smile.
Serve and enjoy.
If you enjoy this dip you might like these other Christmas appetizer ideas...
Cheese Ball Reindeer
What Christmas party would be complete without a cheese ball? Make your's extra special by decorating it to look like Rudolph.
You can stuff these Christmas calzones with your family's favorite pizza toppings and lots of cheese.
Mozzarella Cheese Bite Snowmen
This Christmas snack is super easy to make using Mozzarella Cheese Bites and a black and orange food coloring marker. Your kids will love these cute and easy snowman appetizers.
You might also like to make some of these fun Christmas and New Year's Eve appetizers.
Mini Melting Snowman Cheese Balls • Spinach Artichoke Fritatta Trees
Green Pesto Crescent Roll Christmas Trees • Parmesan Artichoke Cheesecake Countdown Clock
Cheese Filled Fried Won Ton Clocks • Mediterranean Pinwheels
Be sure to let me know what your family thinks of this hot bubbly Skillet Snowman Dip in the comments below.