Fluffy frosting bunnies burrowing down into silicone flower pots filled with chocolate glazed chocolate cupcakes couldn't be sweeter. These Bunny Butt Cupcakes will be so fun to serve for Easter dessert, a baby shower, or an Earth Day celebration.
How cute are these Bunny Butt Cupcakes?
Each little fluffy frosting bunny is burrowing down into a flower pot. When you look at these fun springtime desserts all you see is the furry bottom, fuzzy tail, and big floppy feat of the bunny atop chocolate dirt in a terra cotta pot. Hiding inside is a decadent, made-from-scratch, chocolate cupcake filled and topped with chocolate ganache.
I'd be jumping headfirst into those flower pots too. Wouldn't you???
RELATED: See more cute Easter desserts, here.
Each spring for the past several years we have had a family of baby bunnies born in our backyard. The mama rabbit usually creates her hutch in my strawberry patch so when I go to pick the first berries of spring, I am greeted by the sweetest little fur babies. They were the inspiration for these Bunny Butt Cupcakes.
A few years ago I created Ravenous Rabbit Cupcakes (bunny butt cupcakes) with modeling chocolate bunny butts. Those cupcakes were amazing, but they took a long time to decorate being each rabbit was surrounded by lots of modeling chocolate carrots.
When I set out to make these new Bunny Butt Cupcakes I wanted to simplify things so I quickly created my bunny butts using frosting that I chilled in the refrigerator until it was firm enough to hold its shape.
Bake Cupcakes in Silicone Terra Cotta Pots
- To create these cute Easter desserts, you’ll want to start by baking chocolate cupcakes in silicone terra cotta pots.
- I've shared a recipe below for decadent homemade chocolate cupcakes but you can use a cake mix to save time if you prefer.
- Then fill and top each chocolate cupcake with homemade chocolate ganache and some cake crumbs.
Decorate your Bunny Butts
- Chill some white frosting in the refrigerator until it is firm enough to hold its shape.
- Scoop the frosting out using an ice cream scoop then place it on a cupcake.
- Then scoop out a small amount of frosting and roll it into a ball for the tail.
- Add two candy feet (see below).
For the feet, you can either buy Wilton’s Candy Bunny Feet at the store (Michael's, JoAnn's, Kroger, Walmart) or from Amazon or you can make your own. Click on the links below to see how to make them using:
- candy melts bunny feet
- modeling chocolate (candy clay) bunny feet
- Reese's Peanut Butter Egg Bunny Feet
- marshmallow bunny feet
You can find the supplies needed to make these Bunny Butt Cupcakes on Amazon (commission earned for sales). If you use plastic flower pots instead of silicone pots, bake the cupcakes in a cupcake pan with a liner, then set the cupcake on the plastic post.
Watch the video below to see how you can make these Bunny Butt Cupcakes...
NOTES for making Bunny Butt Cupcakes:
- The cupcake recipe will fill one set of 12 silicone terra cotta pot baking cups. Pour the remaining batter into 4 cupcake liners. You'll crumble one of those cupcakes to make "dirt" for the terra cotta pot cupcakes and have three that you can snack on. If you purchase two sets of silicone baking cups then you can make 16 pots and use one of them to make "dirt."
- Instead of using cake crumbs for the dirt, you can use crushed Oreo Cookies.
- Use Wilton's Candy Bunny Feet or make your own using candy melts, marshmallows, or modeling chocolate.
- Be sure to chill your frosting in the refrigerator until firm enough to hold its shape.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
- 2 ounces semi sweet chocolate melted
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks room temperature
- 9 tablespoons (4 ½ fluid ounces) vegetable or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (2 ¾ ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup (2 ounces) cocoa powder
- ½ cup (4 fluid ounces) room temperature water
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream divided
- 1 ¾ cup white frosting chilled
- 24 candy bunny feet
Preheat oven to 325 F.
Beat butter and sugar until fully combined.
Add melted chocolate and beat until blended.
Mix in eggs and egg yolks one at a time until just combined.
Mix in oil, vanilla, and sour cream.
Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder together then mix into wet ingredients in three increments.
Stir in water until smooth.
Fill 12 silicone terra cotta pot molds with 5 tablespoons of batter.
Equally divide remaining batter in 4 standard cupcake liners.
Bake for 18-24 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Remove and allow to cool completely.
Remove about an inch or so of cake from the center of each terra cotta cupcake by using a cupcake corer or knife.
Crumble the removed cake pieces along with the 1 of the cupcakes. Set aside.
Combine chocolate with ¾ cup heavy whipping cream.
Heat on high power in the microwave for 1 minute 15 seconds.
Let chocolate rest in microwave for 2 minutes.
Remove and stir until melted.
If needed, heat for 10-15 more seconds.
Pour in remaining whipping cream and stir until smooth.
Pour warm ganache over top of one of the terra cotta cakes then sprinkle cake crumbs over top.
Repeat covering all the terra cotta cupcakes.
Use the remaining ganache to frost the plain cupcakes and enjoy a snack.
Scoop about 2 tablespoons of cold white frosting using an ice cream scoop and set it in the center of one of the terra cotta pot cakes.
Attach two candy feet to each scoop of frosting.
Scoop out about ½ teaspoon of cold frosting and roll it into a small ball.
Set it on a scoop of frosting to create the bunny's tail.
Serve and enjoy!
More Easter Recipes
If you are looking for more Easter cupcake ideas be sure to check these out...