Fluffy frosting bunnies burrowing down into silicone flower pots filled with chocolate glazed chocolate cupcakes couldn’t be sweeter. These Bunny Butt Cupcakes will be so fun to serve for Easter dessert, a baby shower, or an Earth Day celebration.
Bunny Butt Cupcakes
How cute are these Bunny Butt Cupcakes?
Each little fluffy frosting bunny is burrowing down into a flower pot. When you look at these fun springtime desserts all you see is the furry bottom, fuzzy tail, and big floppy feat of the bunny atop chocolate dirt in a terra cotta pot. Hiding inside is a decadent, made-from-scratch, chocolate cupcake filled and topped with chocolate ganache.
I’d be jumping headfirst into those flower pots too. Wouldn’t you???
Each spring for the past several years we have had a family of baby bunnies born in our backyard. The mama rabbit usually creates her hutch in my strawberry patch so when I go to pick the first berries of spring, I am greeted by the sweetest little fur babies. They were the inspiration for these Bunny Butt Cupcakes.
You know I have a thing for making cute Bunny Butt treats for Easter. I’ve already made Oreo Bunny Butts this year and years ago I made what I called Ravenous Rabbit Cupcakes with modeling chocolate bunny butts. Those cupcakes were amazing, but they took a long time to make being each rabbit was surrounded by lots of modeling chocolate carrots.
When I set out to make these new Bunny Butt Cupcakes I wanted to simplify things so I quickly created my bunny butts using frosting that I chilled in the refrigerator until still enough to hold it’s shape.
To create these cute Easter desserts, you’ll want to start by baking chocolate cupcakes in silicone terra cotta pots, filling and topping them with homemade chocolate ganache and some cake crumbs. I’ve shared a recipe below for decadent homemade chocolate cupcakes but you can use a cake mix to save time.
The bunny butt is super easy to make. Simply chill some frosting, scoop it out using an ice cream scoop onto the cupcake. Then scoop out a small amount of frosting and roll it into a ball for the tail then add some candy bunny feet.
For the feet you can either buy Wilton’s Candy Bunny Feet at the store (Michael’s, JoAnn’s, Kroger, Walmart) or from amazon or you can make your own. Click on the links below to see how to make them using:
- candy melts bunny feet
- modeling chocolate (candy clay) bunny feet
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Egg Bunny Feet
- marshmallow bunny feet
You can find the supplies needed to make these Bunny Butt Cupcakes on amazon (commission earned for sales).
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup 7 ounces sugar
- 2 ounces semi sweet chocolate melted
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks room temperature
- 9 tablespoons 4 1/2 fluid ounces vegetable or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup 2 3/4 ounce sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup 2 ounces cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup 4 fluid ounces room temperature water
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream divided
- 1 3/4 cup white frosting chilled
- 24 candy bunny feet
Preheat oven to 325 F.
Beat butter and sugar until fully combined.
Add melted chocolate and beat until blended.
Mix in eggs and egg yolks one at a time until just combined.
Mix in oil, vanilla, and sour cream.
Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder together then mix into wet ingredients in three increments.
Stir in water until smooth.
Fill 12 silicone terra cotta pot molds with 5 tablespoons of batter.
Equally divide remaining batter in 4 standard cupcake liners.
Bake for 18-24 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Remove and allow to cool completely.
Remove about an inch or so of cake from the center of each terra cotta cupcake by using a cupcake corer or knife.
Crumble the removed cake pieces along with the 1 of the cupcakes. Set aside.
Combine chocolate with 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream.
Heat on high power in the microwave for 1 minute 15 seconds.
Let chocolate rest in microwave for 2 minutes.
Remove and stir until melted.
If needed, heat for 10-15 more seconds.
Pour in remaining whipping cream and stir until smooth.
Pour warm ganache over top of one of the terra cotta cakes then sprinkle cake crumbs over top.
Repeat covering all the terra cotta cupcakes.
Use the remaining ganache to frost the plain cupcakes and enjoy a snack.
Scoop about 2 tablespoons of cold white frosting using an ice cream scoop and set it in the center of one of the terra cotta pot cakes.
Attach two candy feet to each scoop of frosting.
Scoop out about 1/2 teaspoon of cold frosting and roll it into a small ball.
Set it on a scoop of frosting to create the bunny's tail.
Serve and enjoy!
NOTES for making Bunny Butt Cupcakes:
- The cupcake recipe will fill one set of 12 silicone terra cotta pot baking cups. Pour the remaining batter into 4 cupcake liners. You’ll crumble one of those cupcakes to make “dirt” for the terra cotta pot cupcakes and have three that you can snack on. If you purchase two sets of silicone baking cups then you can make 16 pots and use one of them to make “dirt.”
- Instead of using cake crumbs for the dirt, you can use crushed Oreo Cookies.
- Use Wilton’s Candy Bunny Feet or make your own using candy melts, marshmallows, or modeling chocolate.
- Be sure to chill your frosting in the refrigerator until firm enough to hold it’s shape.
Have fun making these cute Bunny Butt Cupcakes. If you make them and share them online be sure to link back to this blog post, mention Hungry Happenings, and use #HungryHappenings.