Your kids will go nuts over these adorably cute Cookie Monster Rice Krispie Treats and you are going to love how easy they are to make using store-bought cereal treats.
Cookie Monster with his big googly eyes and messy blue fur is one of the most endearing characters from Sesame Street. He was definitely my favorite Muppet on the popular PBS kids show.
Why wouldn't he be? Not only was he funny and cute but he loved cookies! I was so excited when Holly from Kids Activities Blog asked me to create a Cookie Monster Rice Krispie Treat to share with her readers (in August of 2014).
Decorating Rice Krispie Treats like Cookie Monster or Elmo is really easy.
To keep my project really simple, I decorated store-bought treats, but you can definitely make homemade treats instead.
We taste-tested 20 versions of the Rice Krispie Treat recipe to come up with the absolute BEST Rice Krispie Treat Recipe, so be sure to check it out if you plan to use homemade treats.
More Decorated Rice Krispie Treats
- Unicorn Rice Krispie Treats
- Polar Bear Rice Krispie Treats
- Fuzzy Chick Rice Krispie Treats
- Rice Krispie Treat Turkeys
- Rice Krispie Treat Dolphins
- Rice Krispie Treat Stars in a Rice Krispie Treat Bowl
Cookie Monster Rice Krispie Treats
These desserts are easy to create using store-bought cereal treat bars, a can of blue frosting, some jumbo candy eyes, and Tootsie Rolls. You can even put tiny cookies in Cookie Monster’s Mouth. I used mini Nutter Butters, but any small cookie will do.
- Rice Krispie Treats or homemade Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 can of Betty Crocker Blue Cake Icing (or any blue icing)
- 2 jumbo candy eyes for each treat
- ½ of a Tootsie Roll Midgee per treat
- optional: mini cookies (Nutter Butter, Oreos, Chocolate Chips)
Decorating Rice Krispie Treat Cookie Monsters
- Unwrap your Rice Krispies Treats.
- Squeeze blue cake icing over the top of the cereal treat bar.
- Use a small spoon or fork to create the furry look on Cookie Monster.
- To do this press the spoon into the frosting and pull up, creating spikes. Do this all over the frosting.
- Press two candy eyes near the top of each treat.
Making Tootsie Roll Mouths
- If your Tootsie Roll Midgees are nice and soft, flatten them using your fingers. If not, then unwrap them and place a few in the microwave on defrost for 5-8 seconds, just to soften them enough so they can be flattened.
- Use kitchen scissors to cut 2 Cookie monster Mouths out of each Tootsie Roll then press the candy mouths onto the frosted treats. Add a small cookie using a dab of frosting, if desired, to make it look like Cookie Monster is eating a cookie.
How to store frosted Rice Krispie Treats?
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- These treats can be made and decorated ahead of time for your Sesame Street themed party.
Rice Krispie treats decorated with blue icing fur, jumbo candy eyes, a Tootsie Roll mouth, and mini cookies to look like Cookie monster.
- 8 Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 can Betty Crocker Blue Cupcake Icing (or other blue icing)
- 16 jumbo candy eyes
- 4 Tootsie Roll Midgees
- 8 mini cookies
Spread blue frosting over the top of your Rice Krispie Treats.
Use a fork to spike the frosting to look like fur.
Attach two candy eyes at the top of the treat.
Flatten the Tootsie Roll Midgees then cut each into two mouths.
Press one mouth below the candy eyes on each cereal treat.
If desired, use some icing to attach a mini cookie to the mouth.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
This recipe was originally published on August 7, 2014.
If you like these cute Sesame Street Rice Krispie Treat, you might also like these other Cookie Monster desserts...
I have created over 100 fun recipes for kids. Be sure to check them out too!