If you want some fun Sesame Street party treats you’ve got to make these adorable Cookie Monster Pretzels. Each mini pretzel twist coated in blue candy melts and sprinkles has big, googly, candy eyes and a big mouth stuffed with a chocolate chip cookie.
Cookie Monster Pretzels
Like most kids in America I grew up watching Sesame Street and the character I related to the most was the furry blue Cookie Monster. He couldn’t get enough cookies and was so elated every time he ate one. Yep, he was my kindred spirit. I’m sure many of you can relate.
All of the Muppets are so incredibly cute, but there’s something so sweet about the furry, blue, cookie-eating monster. The simple shape of Jim Henson’s puppets make them easy to recreate as food crafts.
When I came up with the idea of turning some Sesame Street characters into pretzels I just had to start with Cookie Monster. He has big googly eyes and a mouth that’s almost always stuffed with cookies.
These cute Cookie Monster Pretzels are super easy to make and will be so much fun to serve to the kids at your Sesame Street themed party.
- You’ll start by dipping a mini pretzel twist into blue candy melts. You can find detailed instructions for working with candy melts on my Chocolate Making Tips page.
- Then you’ll sprinkle on lots of blue jimmies (sprinkles). The blue jimmies not only make the candy dipped pretzels look furry but they also fill in the holes.
- Add 1/2 inch candy eyes and a Mini Oreo Cookie mouth and you have Cookie Monster.
- Stuff a cookie in his mouth to make him look even cuter. You’ll need tiny chocolate chip cookies. Cookie Crisp cereal works great.
- Cut about 1/3rd off of each cookie so that you can attach them to Cookie Monster’s mouth using some of the blue candy melts.
- If you can’t find chocolate chip cookie cereal, you could always make tiny homemade cookies or create them out of modeling chocolate.
Watch this video tutorial to see how you can quickly and easily make a bunch of these Cookie Monster Pretzels for your Sesame Street party.
You can find the supplies to make these Cookie Monster Pretzels on amazon (commission earned for sales).
Cookie Monster Pretzel Recipe
- 9 Mini Oreo Cookie Thin
- 36 pieces chocolate chip cookie cereal
- 6 ounces blue candy melts melted
- 36 mini pretzel twists
- 8 ounces blue jimmies sprinkles
- 72 1/2 inch candy eyes
Divide each Mini Oreo Cookie in half.
Scrape off the filling.
Use a sharp knife to cut each chocolate cookie into two half moon shaped mouths.
Cut about 1/3rd off of each chocolate chip cookie cereal.
Discard or snack on the smaller 1/3rd.
Set the larger pieces aside.
Dip one mini pretzel twist in blue candy melts using a dipping tool or fork.
Remove and allow excess candy to drip off.
Set on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Immediately attach one cookie mouth at the bottom edge of the pretzel twist.
Sprinkle blue jimmies over top and allow to dry for 10 minutes.
Repeat coating all 36 of your pretzels.
After the pretzels have dried pick them up and allow the excess sprinkles to fall off.
Use blue candy melts to attach two candy eyes along the top edge of the pretzel.
Brush blue candy melts along the cut edge of a chocolate chip cookie cereal and immediately attach it to Cookie Monster's mouth.
Have fun making these Cookie Monster Pretzels. If you make them and share them online be sure to link back to this blog post, mention Hungry Happenings, and use #hungryhappenings.
See the video tutorial for making Elmo Pretzels too…