Transform chocolate peanut butter rice crispy treats into these festive Cocoa Crispy Treat Peanut Butter Fudge Pinwheels. Each chocolate cereal treat is flattened and rolled around lusciously creamy peanut butter fudge making a pretty swirled pattern when cut.
Chocolate mixed with peanut butter is my absolute favorite flavor combination, so when I decided to try my hand at creating a rice krispie treat roll, I chose to combine cocoa crispy cereal treats with peanut butter fudge.
I’ve been making lots of cake rolls lately and just love their simplicity. They are visually stunning, but don’t require a lot of effort. With each slice you see a pretty pinwheel pattern of cake and frosting.
For these cereal treat pinwheels, I used the same technique as I do when I make a cake roll, but found that rolling a thin layer of rice krispies treats around fudge to be so much easier. As I was making this dessert, I wondered, “why have I not tried this before?”
Each slice of this Cocoa Crispy Treat Peanut Butter Fudge Pinwheel reveals lovely swirls of chocolate brown and creamy tan colors. And with each bite, you enjoy the crunchy texture of the crisp rice cereal contrasted with the smooth and creamy fudge filling.
To really intensify the chocolate flavor, not only did I use cocoa flavored crisp rice cereal, but I also added some semi-sweet chocolate chips along with the traditional marshmallow and butter called for in the rice krispie treat recipe.
For the peanut butter fudge filling, I wanted something that would be easy to spread over the flattened cereal treats, but that would firm up and keep it’s shape once rolled. Fortunately, my go to peanut butter fudge recipe was perfect.
The fudge is made using peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, creamy peanut butter, and a pinch of salt. At first it’s quite liquid, and easy to spread, but once it sets up, it becomes this lusciously creamy, yet firm, fudge.
When the fudge is spread out over the cocoa crispy treat, rolled up, chilled, and sliced, you get a bunch of perfectly formed swirls.
The best thing about using this fudge for the filling is that it wont ooze out when you are slicing the cereal treat roll.
As a matter of fact, it will never ooze out.
Each slice will always look perfectly pretty. Well, that is until you take a bite, which you wont be able to resist.
Cocoa Crispy Treat Peanut Butter Fudge Pinwheels
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 cups cocoa crisp rice cereal
- Line a 15 x 18 inch sheet pan with parchment or wax paper.
- Brush tablespoon of butter over the paper.
- Brush any remaining butter over a rubber spatula.
- Combine white chocolate chips and peanut butter chips in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat for 30 second increments, stirring after each, until melted.
- Stir in peanut butter and pinch a salt.
- Set aside to cool.
- Combine butter, marshmallows, and semi-sweet chocolate chips in a large microwave safe mixing bowl.
- Heat on high power for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir.
- Heat for 30 seconds, then stir until melted.
- If needed, heat for 15 second increments, stirring after each, until melted.
- Stir in cocoa crispy cereal.
- Pour out onto the pan and flatten into a thin layer.
- Spread peanut butter fudge filling over top.
- Refrigerate for 5 minutes, just until the fudge firms up a bit.
- Roll the crispy treat cereal up into a log.
- If you want big swirls, roll along the short side of the pan.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then cut into slices.
I am excited about trying out some other flavor combinations to make more rice krispie treat rolls.
What flavors do you like best?
Here are some more fun ways to transform ordinary rice krispie treat bars into festive desserts…
Café Mocha Rice Krispie Treat Cups • Rice Krispie Treat Apple Tree
Caramel Rice Crispy Treat Castle • Colorful Rice Cereal Treat Party Hat
4th of July Rice Krispie Treat Bowl w/ RKT Stars • Cocoa Krispies Treat Graduation Cap
If you recreate these Cocoa Crispy Treat Peanut Butter Fudge Pinwheels
be sure to link to this tutorial and send a picture to email@example.com,
so I can share it in my Readers’ Gallery.