Serve these beautifully decorated Daisy Sugar Spoons alongside hot tea or coffee for your Mother's Day brunch, a little girl's tea party, or even a bridal shower, and allow your guest to stir the sweet sugar into their hot beverage.
If you are hosting a springtime party and plan to serve hot tea or coffee, take some time to make and decorate Daisy Sugar Spoons. They will look so beautiful on your table and will sweeten your guests drinks perfectly.
Oh, and they are fairly simple to make too.
The sugar spoons are made with sugar, water, food coloring, and a bit of corn syrup. Then they are decorated using royal icing using a really simple daisy design.
How to make sugar spoons:
You can find the recipe quantities to make the sugar spoons and royal icing at Dixie Crystals.com.
Below, I'm sharing some step-by-step instructions. You can also see some really detailed step-by-step photos for making and shaping the sugar spoons on my Easter Chick Sugar Spoons tutorial.
- Brush a light coating of corn syrup on the top side of a plastic spoon.
- Scoop up some of the sugar/water mixture on the spoon (see recipe at Dixie Crystals).
- You want this to be a nice size mound of sugar.
- Press another spoon, that is facing the opposite direction, over top of the sugar and press down, allowing any excess sugar to ooze out the sides in between the two spoons.
- Brush off any excess sugar.
- Remove the top spoon to reveal a nicely shaped oval of sugar.
- Repeat the process until you have used up all your sugar. One recipe makes 8 spoons but it can easily be doubled or tripled.
How to decorate with royal icing:
- Use a food-use-only paint brush to paint on royal icing decorations. You can find the royal icing recipe at Dixie Crystals too.
- If you use a small, flat, paint brush you can make really pretty daisy petals.
- Dip the brush into the royal icing.
- Look at your spoon and see where you want to start your first petal.
- Starting at the outer edge of the petal, set your brush down on the sugar spoon.
- Flatten the bristles a bit so the royal icing flows out to create the curved edge of the petal.
- Then lift up slightly and drag the icing into the center of the spoon allowing the icing will create a ridge along both sides of the petal. The center of each petal will just have a thin coating of icing.
- As you pull the brush towards the center, continue to lift up so the petal comes to a point in the center.
- Continue around in a circle, adding more petals. I ended up with 6 petals on each of my daisies.
- Then color some royal icing yellow and add a dot in the center of each daisy.
- Add a drop of blue coloring to the yellow icing, to turn it green, then use that to paint on some leaves. You can add a stem too, if you like.
- Allow the decorated spoons to dry for a few hours before serving them with cups of hot tea or coffee.
The sugar will dissolve off the spoon as you stir it in your hot beverage.
These sugar spoons can be decorated with just about anything you can dream of, so get creative and have some fun making spoons for any occasion.
They will keep for months too, so you can get your spoons made well in advance of your Mother's Day brunch, afternoon tea, or wedding shower party.
Be sure to stop by Dixie Crystals to see the full recipe for these Daisy Sugar Spoons.
You might also like:
Almond Nougatine Spoons topped with Chocolate Ganache
- Homemade Chocolate Easter Bunnies - April 3, 2023
- Mini Basketball Cheeseburgers - February 15, 2023
- Snowman Popcorn Bucket - December 24, 2022
Cute is probably an understatement. If ever I see these in the coffee table, I could probably reach for more. 🙂 Thanks for these tips. Our coffee and tea parties are never going to be boring with these cute sugar spoons. 🙂
Thanks Carmel. I'm so glad you love this cute sugar spoons.
These are super cute! What a way to make the party more memorable! I admire your creativity!
Thank you! That is so nice to hear.
Seriously this is the cutest. Love it.
Thank you, Rachael! 🙂
OMG I looooove these!! SO CREATIVE!
Thanks, I'm so glad you like them!
Oh my! So sweet!! I have a "Tea Party" every year with my mom & daughter for Mother's Day... this is my plan this year. 😉
Awe, that is so wonderful. I love the idea of a mom and daughter tea party.
I’m not a tea drinker but I definitely like sugar in my coffee! So these would make it much sweeter, adorable!
These sugar spoons are definitely great for coffee drinkers too! I hope you give them a try.
Karen @ Sugartown Sweets
I LOVE these sweet and colorful spoons! I used to see those decorated sugar cubes but never have made any. Yours are adorable! Happy Mother's Day, Beth!
Many years ago I did make and decorate little sugar cubes but I like these spoons better. Plus they are easier to make. I'm glad you like them too. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day too!
Those are so pretty, now I want to have a tea party!!
Have fun if you do!
These are so gosh darn adorable!
These are SO CUTE!!!!
Thanks, Kelly. I'm glad you think so!