Freak out your friends and families by serving this OREO Cheese Ball Rat at your Halloween party.
These sweet cheese ball may look a little gross, but it tastes great. The rat is made using a blend of OREO Cookies and cream cheese and it is delicious!
If you are looking for party food that might at first freak out your squeamish guests but tastes so yummy they won't be able to resist, this is the OREO Cookie Cheese Ball Rat is for you.
This rat is created out of a yummy dough made from Oreo Cookies and Philadelphia Cream Cheese. His long body is rolled in crushed cookies which mimics his hair.
Chocolate chips become eyes and a simple cream cheese frosting is piped on to create his tail, nose, and toes.
Kids will love helping you create this adorable yet disgusting creature and will have even more fun eating it.
As gross as all my bug-themed Halloween foods were, my party guests went nuts over them. There wasn't much left at the end of the night.
Are you ready to make a sweet cheese ball rat?
OREO Cookies - You'll need 18 ounces or 40 OREO Cookies to make the cheese ball.
cream cheese, softened and divided
powdered sugar - Use powdered sugar to make a very small amount of cream cheese frosting to make the rat's tail and feet.
pink paste or gel food coloring
chocolate chips - You'll just need 2 chocolate chips for the rat's eyes.
Step 1 - Make the OREO cheese ball.
- Pour cookies into the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until the cookies are fine crumbs.
- Remove ⅔ cup crumbs and set aside.
- Add 7 ounces of cream cheese to the food processor and pulse until the mixture is well combined, scraping the bowl as needed.
Step 2 - Shape the OREO cheese ball into a rat.
- Reserve about 3 tablespoons of the cookie/cream cheese dough for the rat's legs and ears.
- Pour the remaining dough onto a piece of plastic wrap.
- Use the plastic wrap to help you form the dough into a long oval. Unwrap.
Step 3 - Roll chocolate cheese ball rat into cookie crumbs.
- Pour reserved cookie crumbs into a long shallow container.
- Roll dough oval into crumbs, shaping the body as you go.
- Place on a serving platter.
Step 4 - Add legs and eyes to the rat.
- Press the two chocolate chips onto either side of the rat's face.
- Pinch off small amounts of the reserved dough and roll them into 2 short skinny front legs and two longer wider back legs.
- Attach to the body.
- Pinch off two small balls of dough and flatten them into ears.
- Attach to the head.
Step 5 - Make pink cream cheese frosting.
- Combine the remaining 1 ounce of cream cheese with the powdered sugar and one very small drop of pink food coloring.
- Stir until well combined.
- Spoon pink cream cheese into a pastry bag fitted with a coupler and # 12 decorating tip.
Step 6 - Pipe tail, nose, and pink ears onto the rat.
- Pipe a long tail onto the back of the rat's body.
- Start by setting the decorating tip at the rat's back end.
- Squeeze and as the frosting comes out of the tip, pull out and around the body tapering off as you go.
- Pipe on a nose and pipe some pink onto each ear.
Step 7 - Pipe on pink toes.
- Remove the #12 decorating tip and replace it with a #3 tip.
- Pipe on the rat's toes.
- Keep the chocolate cheese ball refrigerated for up to a week.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.
Alternative decorating ideas:
If you don't have any experience piping frosting you can substitute candy pieces for the tail, nose, and toes.
- You could use strawberry Tootsie Rolls to create these parts.
- Just soften the candy in your warm hand and cut and mold it into the desired shape.
- You can also put them in the microwave on defrost for 5 seconds.
- Just be careful as the candy may be very hot when you remove it from the oven.
You can even make a savory cheese ball rat.
I served a bacon cheddar cheese-ball rat at one of my Halloween parties.
I used the same basic idea to make this savory cheese ball rat but rolled it in cracker crumbs and created the nose, eyes, and ears out of black olives.
Be sure to check out all the Halloween recipes here on Hungry Happenings.
This Halloween recipe was originally published on my Hungry Halloween blog (which now forwards to Hungry Happenings) on August 3, 2010. The recipe is also in my Hungry Happenings Halloween Cookbook.
This rat-shaped chocolate cheese ball is covered in OREO Cookie crumbs and is decorated with pink cream cheese frosting. It will make a creepy Halloween dessert for your party.
- 18 ounces Oreo Cookies, crushed into crumbs
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- pink paste or gel food coloring
- 2 chocolate chips
Reserve ⅔ cup crumbs and 1 ounce cream cheese.
Stir the remaining crumbs and cream cheese together and pinch off about 3 tablespoons and set aside, then shape the rest into a rat shape.
Roll into the reserved cookie crumbs.
Place on a serving platter.
Pinch off small amounts of the reserved dough and roll into 2 short skinny front legs and two longer wider back legs.
Pinch off two small balls of dough and flatten them into ears and attach them to the head.
Press the two chocolate chips onto either side of the rat's face.
Blend the remaining cream cheese, powdered sugar, and pink food coloring together.
Combine the remaining cream cheese with the powdered sugar and the pink food coloring.
Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a # 12 decorating tip.
Pipe a pink cream cheese frosting tail, nose, and ears onto the cheese ball rat.
Change the tip to a #3 and pipe on toes.
- Keep refrigerated for up to a week.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.