Pizza lovers will go nuts over this 3-cheese pepperoni Pizza Dip served in a skillet surrounded by mozzarella cheese-filled pizza crust. This appetizer is easy to make for a family game night but looks spectacular enough to serve as a New Year’s Eve appetizer or Super Bowl snack.
This appetizer combines the flavors of pizza that everyone loves with a gooey, bubbly, cheesy dip.
The dip is loaded with three kinds of cheese, sour cream, pizza sauce, and lots of pepperonis and it is baked in a skillet surrounded by puffs of pizza crust which are filled with even more cheese.
What’s not to love about all of that cheesy goodness? If you serve this at a party, I’ll bet that many of your guests will ask for your recipe for pepperoni pizza dip. It’s that good!
You can bake this dip without the crust, but I don’t know why you’d want to! I love that this appetizer is all contained in one serving vessel.
There’s no need to serve crackers, tortilla chips, or bread on the side.
Your party guests can simply scoop up some of this delicious pizza dip using the cheese-stuffed pizza crust.
Why bake the dip in a skillet?
- If you bake this pizza dip in a skillet you simply pull it out of the oven and it’s ready to serve.
- The dip will stay nice and warm for quite a while. If it does cool off too much, just pop the entire skillet back into the oven to warm it through.
- You can use a 10-inch or 12-inch cast-iron skillet or a non-stick skillet to make this pizza dip recipe. Just be sure your skillet is oven safe and has a heatproof handle. Oh, and be sure to use an oven mitt whenever you are moving the skillet as the handle will be very hot.
- It’s also a good idea to cover your hot skillet handle with a cover.
Do I have to bake the pizza dip in a skillet?
- No. If you prefer you can bake your dip in a large round casserole dish.
- You can even bake this dip in a deep-dish pie plate or a cake pan.
How to make mozzarella cheese-filled pizza crust?
- To keep this recipe quick and easy, use a tube of store-bought pizza dough. I used a can of Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust.
- If you prefer, you can make homemade pizza dough.
- Unroll the dough and cut it into 12 squares.
- Brush egg white over the dough.
- Set one Mini Babybel Mozzarella Cheese in the center of each square of dough.
- You can also use string cheese cut into 4 equal pieces like I did when I made the Pizza Skillet Dip Countdown Clock for New Year’s Eve or you can use cubes of Mozzarella cheese.
- Pull the dough up over the cheese and pinch together the seams.
- Set it down with the seam side facing down.
- Brush the tops of each crust with egg white.
- Sprinkle on some Parmesan Bread Dip Seasoning or Italian Seasoning.
- Butter the skillet then arrange the cheese-filled pizza dough rounds around the perimeter of the skillet.
3-Cheese Pizza Dip Filling
pizza toppings (I used mini pepperoni)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread 1/3 cup pizza sauce in the middle of the skillet.
- Blend together 8 ounces softened cream cheese, 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese, 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, and a pinch of salt, then spread half of it over the pizza sauce in the pan.
- Top with 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese then sprinkle on your favorite pizza toppings.
- I used 1/2 cup of mini pepperoni.
- Top with 1/3 cup pizza sauce, the remaining cheese dip, 1/3 cup pizza sauce, another 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, and more pizza toppings.
- Bake the dip for 28-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the pizza crust is golden brown.
Other pizza topping ideas:
- meats – sausage, ham, Proscuitto, bacon
- veggies – green peppers, onions, olives, tomatoes, artichokes, banana peppers, roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, fresh tomatoes
- fruit – pineapple
Serving the dip.
- Serve the dip hot.
- Use a large spoon to scoop out the puffs of pizza crust and the hot bubbly pizza dip.
- The great thing about this skillet pizza dip is that there’s just the right amount of dip to go with the pizza crust.
Can I reheat leftover dip?
- Yes, you can cover and refrigerate any leftover pizza dip. Then when you are ready to enjoy a snack, simply uncover it and place the entire skillet in a 350-degree oven and heat for 10-14 minutes until the dip is heated through.
- Or, you can heat individual servings in a toaster oven or air fryer.
- I heated two servings at 350 degrees in my toaster oven for about 10 minutes.
- The air fryer was a bit quicker. I cut the cheese-stuffed pizza puffs in half so that they heated more evenly at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes.
Can I make this dip ahead?
- Yes, you can whip up the cheesy dip and seal it in an airtight container placed in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can even freeze this mixture for up to 2 months.
- You can then make the cheese-filled pizza dough the morning of your New Year’s party, Super Bowl party, game night, movie night, or dinner.
- Arrange the cheese-filled pizza crust in the skillet then fill with the pizza dip and toppings, cover it tightly with tin foil, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
- Bake just before your guests arrive.
Be sure to watch the recipe video to see how easy this skillet pizza dip is to make.
Cheesy dip layered with pizza sauce and pepperoni is surrounded by Mozzarella cheese-filled pizza crust puffs and baked in a skillet until hot.
- 1 tube Pillsbury Classic Pizza Dough (or 14 ounces homemade dough)
- 12 Babybel Mozzarella Cheese Wheels (or 3 sticks string cheese)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan Bread Dip Seasoning or Italian Seasoning
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mini pepperoni (or your favorite pizza toppings)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Unroll the pizza dough and cut it into 12 squares.
Brush egg white over the dough.
Set one Mini Babybel Mozzarella Cheese in the center of each square of dough.
Pull the dough up over the cheese and pinch together the seams.
Turn them over so the seam side is down.
Brush the tops of each crust with egg white.
Sprinkle on some Parmesan Bread Dip Seasoning or Italian Seasoning.
Butter the skillet then arrange the cheese-filled pizza dough rounds around the perimeter of the skillet.
Spread 1/3 cup pizza sauce in the middle of the skillet.
Blend together 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese, 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, and a pinch of salt, then spread half of it over the pizza sauce in the pan.
Top with 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese, then sprinkle on half of the pepperoni or your favorite pizza toppings.
Layer on another 1/3 cup pizza sauce, the remaining cheese dip, 1/3 cup pizza sauce, another 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, and more pepperoni or pizza toppings.
Bake the dip for 28-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the pizza crust is golden brown.
Serve while hot.
Refrigerate any leftovers then reheat in a 350-degree oven until warmed through.
If you like this delicious appetizer you might also like these appetizer recipes.
This festive dip is made using Ricotta cheese instead of sour cream. It’s decorated with mozzarella cheese clock hands and numbers to celebrate the New Year.
Enjoy a warm and cozy chicken dip surrounded by golden brown salted rolls this winter. It’s a great Christmas appetizer that the whole family will love.
Decorate a cheesy buffalo chicken dip for Halloween. This hot and spicy Jack-O-Lantern dip makes a fun holiday appetizer.
Enjoy your hot pizza dip and be sure to let me know in the comments below what you think of this recipe.