These bright red Hot Chocolate Bomb Lips will make a perfect Valentine's Day gift for your sweetheart. Serve the strawberry hot cocoa and marshmallow-filled chocolate lips in a mug of hot milk and let them melt into a delicious hot beverage.
I have been having so much fun making hot chocolate bombs using Spinning Leaf OREO Cookie molds. They are the perfect size to fill with hot cocoa mix and tiny dehydrated marshmallows.
For Valentine's Day, I've already made Conversation Heart Hot Chocolate Bombs using one of the molds and when I saw their Big Kiss (Lips) Oreo Cookie Chocolate Candy Mold, I just knew I had to use it to make hot chocolate bomb lips.
They turned out great. I filled them with strawberry hot cocoa so when they are mixed with hot milk the hot chocolate is red. So not only does the hot chocolate look fun for Valentine's Day it tastes great too.
See more hot chocolate bombs made using the Spinning Leaf molds after the recipe below. This is NOT a sponsored post. I just love these molds!
How to make Hot Cocoa Bomb Lips?
See the step-by-step instructions and recipe below.
You will need:
SpinningLeaf Big Kiss Oreo Cookie Chocolate Candy Mold - Each of these lips molds has 4 cavities that measure 2.85" x 2.2" x 0.94". SpinningLeaf also makes a smaller version of the mold which is about half the size. Be sure to get the Big Kiss mold not the Mini Kiss mold.
red candy melts – You can purchase bags of pre-colored candy melts which I highly recommend.
Coloring white chocolate red is really challenging. You will need to use a lot of coloring! If you do choose to color your white chocolate, be sure to use oil-based candy coloring, not water-based icing coloring.
dehydrated marshmallows – If you want marshmallows in your hot chocolate bomb brains, use tiny dehydrated marshmallows. Mini marshmallows would be too large.
hot cocoa mix – You can use any hot cocoa mix you like. I made a homemade strawberry hot cocoa mix to use in these hot chocolate bomb lips (see recipe below) because I wanted the hot chocolate to be red. If you add regular hot cocoa mix, your hot chocolate will be a reddish-brown color.
STRAWBERRY HOT COCOA MIX RECIPE
It’s easy to make homemade strawberry hot chocolate mix and it tastes amazing!
This makes enough for 8 hot cocoa bomb lips. You’ll need about 2 tablespoons of cocoa mix to fill each lip-shaped hot chocolate bomb.
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
6 tablespoons powdered milk
6 tablespoons crushed freeze-dried strawberries
(crush the strawberries and push through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the seeds before measuring)
If you just want to make a strawberry hot cocoa mix that will not go into a white chocolate shell, you'll need to add some white chocolate. You can see my recipe to make homemade strawberry hot chocolate mix, here.
Alternative recipe idea:
I think it would also be fun to make Hot Lips Hot Chocolate Bombs by adding some cayenne pepper and cinnamon to your hot cocoa mix. I'm not a fan of anything spicy though so this wasn't an option for me.
step 1 - paint red candy melts into lips mold
- Pour about a tablespoon of melted red candy melts into one cavity of a lips mold.
- Use a food-use-only paintbrush to brush the candy melts up the sides of the mold.
- Wipe off any excess candy around the top edge of the lips.
- Place the mold in the freezer for about 5 minutes until the chocolate hardens.
Don't leave the mold in the freezer for too long or the chocolate may crack.
Also, don't allow the red candy melts to harden at room temperature. They will get streaky and spotty if air-dried.
step 2- paint a second layer
- Paint a second layer of red candy melts up around the edges of the mold.
- Wipe the top edges clean.
- Look at the underside of the mold. If you can see through any spots, paint more red candy melts over that thin spot.
- Freeze for about 5 minutes until that layer of candy melts hardens.
step 3 - fill with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows
- Sprinkle tiny dehydrated marshmallows in a single layer in the bottom of each of the chocolate lips.
- Spoon strawberry hot cocoa mix (or any other hot cocoa mix) over the marshmallows filling the chocolate.
- Pack the hot cocoa mix down into an even layer so that you have ⅛-inch at the top.
- Heat the red candy melts in the microwave until they feel really warm. It's important that the candy melts are hot enough to melt the top edge of the chocolate lips just enough to "glue" the layers together.
- Pour a heaping teaspoon of melted red candy melts over the hot cocoa mix.
- Spread it into an even layer.
- Tap the mold a few times on the counter, allowing air bubbles to escape and pop on the surface of the red candy melts.
- Use an offset spatula or bench scraper to scrape off any excess candy melts.
- Freeze for about 5 minutes until the chocolate hardens.
- Remove from the freezer and set a cutting board (or your hand) over the candies, flip the mold upside down, and allow the chocolate lips to come out of the mold.
- If they won't come out of the mold, freeze them for another few minutes and try again.
- Use a knife to shave off any excess chocolate around the edge.
step 4: serve in hot milk
- Bring 1 cup of milk to a boil.
- Set one hot chocolate bomb lip in a coffee mug.
- Pour the hot milk over the top and let the chocolate begin to melt.
- Stir until completely melted.
- Let cool slightly, then enjoy!
You can find items you need to make these Valentine's Day Hot Chocolate Bombs from Amazon. I earn a small commission when you use the product links in this post, at no extra cost to you.
Where to buy the supplies and ingredients?
You can find some of the supplies and ingredients from Amazon. I earn a small commission when you use the product links in this post at NO extra cost to you.
Bright red hot chocolate bomb lips made with red candy melts are filled with strawberry hot cocoa mix and tiny dehydrated marshmallows. Serve in a mug of hot milk.
- 10 ounces red candy melts
- 1 cup hot cocoa mix (see recipe for strawberry hot cocoa mix in the notes below)
- ⅓ cup dehydrated marshmallows
Pour the candy melts into a microwave-safe bowl.
Heat on high power for 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted.
Spoon a tablespoon of the red candy melts into a lips cavity in the candy mold.
Use a food-use-only paintbrush to brush the candy melts over the bottom and up the sides of the mold.
Wipe off any excess chocolate around the edges of the lips.
Repeat this process, filling all of the lips cavities.
Chill the mold in the freezer for about 5 minutes until the chocolate hardens.
Remove the mold from the freezer.
Let it rest at room temperature for about five minutes.
If needed, reheat the candy melts for about 20 seconds.
Add a second layer of red candy melts to the sides of each of the chocolate lips, then wipe around the top edge of the mold.
Freeze for a few more minutes until the chocolate hardens.
Sprinkle tiny dehydrated marshmallows in a single layer inside each chocolate lip.
Spoon hot cocoa mix over the marshmallows, packing it down into an even layer in the mold.
Leave ⅛-inch of space around the top edge of the hot cocoa mix.
Reheat your red candy melts for 20-30 seconds until they feel really warm.
Spoon some candy melts over the hot cocoa mix around the edge of the lips, then spread it into an even layer.
Gently tap the mold a few times allowing air bubbles to come to the surface and pop.
Use an offset spatula or bench scraper to remove any excess candy melts on the top of the lips.
Freeze the mold for about five minutes until the chocolate hardens.
Remove the mold from the freezer and set a cutting board over the top of the mold. Holding both the mold and cutting board, flip them upside down and remove the mold leaving the chocolate lips on the cutting board.
Repeat this process making a total of 8 hot chocolate bomb lips.
- Store at room temperature for up to 2 months.
- Let the hot chocolate bomb lips come to room temperature before packaging.
- Strawberry Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe (to be used in hot chocolate bombs)
- Sift together 6 tablespoons of powdered sugar, 6 tablespoons powdered milk, and 6 tablespoons of freeze-dried strawberry powder (crush the strawberries then push them through a fine-mesh sieve before measuring).
- To serve your hot chocolate bomb lips:
- Bring 1 cup of milk to a boil.
- Place one chocolate lip in a coffee mug.
- Pour the hot milk over top.
- Let the chocolate melt, then stir until creamy and smooth.
- Allow the hot chocolate to cool slightly before drinking.
More Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipes
You can see all of my hot chocolate bomb recipes, here, but I thought I'd share some that were made using other Spinning Leaf molds below.
Use a Spinning Leaf Peppermint Candy Oreo Cookie Chocolate Mold to make Starlight Mint Hot Chocolate Bombs for Christmas or anytime!
Use a Spinning Leaf Turkey Oreo Cookie Chocolate Mold to make these cute Hot Chocolate Bomb Turkeys.
Or create these fun Hot Chocolate Bomb Footballs using a Spinning Leaf Football Oreo Cookie Chocolate Mold.