Whoooo wouldn’t love these cute Pretzel Owls? Each chocolate dipped mini pretzel twist is decorated with heart sprinkles and will make the sweetest Valentine’s Day treat. Top bags of these homemade candies with printable bag toppers to make the extra special.
Today I’m sharing the final pretzel in my series of chocolate dipped pretzel animals for Valentine’s Day. Not that I won’t create more in years to come, but this year I’ve designed 4 of these sweet chocolate dipped mini pretzel twists to share with you.
Make sure you take the time to watch the video tutorials to make Pretzel Unicorns, Pretzel Puppies, and Pretzel Fish. They are all so cute and I’ve shared printable bag toppers with punny Valentine’s Day sayings for each treat. Have you chosen your favorite design? I’d love to hear in the comments below which you like best.
I know many of you have told me that your kids can’t bring homemade snacks to school for their Valentine’s Day parties but perhaps these would be fun to make for a girl or boy scout troop, a Sunday school class, a sport’s team, or just for family and friends.
How much do you love that silly owl pictured at the bottom in the image above? With it’s googly eyes, it looks a bit crazed, but cute nonetheless.
Each of these pretzel owls starts with a mini pretzel twist dipped in light pink Candy Melts. Then you’ll decorate the pretzel with heart sprinkles. Use jumbo pink heart sprinkles for the wings and smaller heart sprinkles for the ears, beak and feet.
I perched my owls on a chocolate dipped pretzel stick. I used Snyder’s of Hanover Dipping Pretzels. They are between 3 and 4 inches long and are about 1/4 inch thick, much thicker than a traditional pretzel stick. You can use regular pretzel sticks but you might want to double dip them in chocolate to make them look like thicker branches.
Watch this video tutorial to see how you can make these pretzel owls.
NOTES for making your Pretzel Owls:
- Use melted Light Pink Candy Melts or tint melted and tempered pure white chocolate using oil based candy coloring. See my chocolate making tips page for detailed instructions.
- Use 1/2 inch candy eyes if you want big expressive eyes like I did. Smaller eyes will look alright but won’t give you that big owl-eye look.
- Use pretzel dipping sticks (about 3 inches long by 5/8 inch thick) if you want your pretzel owls to like like mine. You can use the larger thicker pretzel rods, but you’ll want to break them into shorter lengths. If you use traditional pretzel sticks that are really skinny, double dip them in the chocolate to make them look thicker.
- Be sure you immediately attach the pretzel owl to the wet chocolate dipped pretzel stick. If you wait too long, just use a bit of chocolate to glue the owl to the pretzel branch.
- I use tweezers because I have very large hands. It makes adding the sprinkles and candy eyes much easier. You may not need them. If you do use them be sure they are for kitchen use only. Don’t just grab a pair from the medicine chest that has been used to pluck anything!
Pretzel Owls - Cute Valentine's Day Treats with Printable Bag Toppers
Mini pretzel twists dipped in pink candy melts and decorated using candy eyes and heart sprinkles to look like adorable owls sitting on a chocolate dipped pretzel tree branch.
- 6 ounces light pink candy melts, melted
- 24 mini pretzel twists
- 48 jumbo pink heart sprinkles
- 48 (1/2 inch) candy eyes
- 48 pink heart sprinkles
- 6 ounces melted and tempered pure milk chocolate OR melted light cocoa candy melts
- 24 pretzel dipping sticks
- 48 red heart sprinkles
Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of pink candy melts onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Dip one mini pretzel twist in pink candy melts then remove and allow excess to drip off.
Set over top of the spoonful of pink candy melts.
Immediately attach two candy eyes, two jumbo pink heart sprinkle wings, and two heart sprinkle ears.
Chill in the freezer until hardened, about 3-4 minutes.
Repeat creating a total of 24 pretzels owls.
Dip a pretzel dipping stick into milk chocolate then set on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Immediately press one pretzel owl along the top edge of the chocolate dipped pretzel making it look like the owl is perched on a branch.
Add two red heart sprinkle feet.
Let the pretzels dry completely before packaging.
PRINTABLE BAG TOPPER
Click on the image of the Owl Valentine’s Day Tags below and you will be redirected to a PDF that you can download or print.
If you make these Pretzel Owls and share them online be sure to link back to this blog post, mention Hungry Happenings, and use #hungryhappenings. Do not reproduce the bag toppers to share online. They are for personal use only.