Minion Cake – Despicable Me 3 Prisoner Cake
Love the Minions? Then you’ll absolutely want to have this Minion Cake at your Despicable Me 3 party or event. This sweet little yellow Minion prisoner is made out of a 9 x 13 inch sheet cake and is fairly simple to decorate.
Who hasn’t fallen in love with the adorable Minions? I wonder if the animator who designed the Twinkie shaped characters knew from the moment of inception that these little guys would be so popular.
Seriously they couldn’t be much cuter with their big goggle covered eyes.
In the new Despicable Me 3 movie they go to jail and have to trade their trademark blue overalls for black and white striped prisoner uniforms which just might make them even cuter.
Have you ever seen a sweeter looking prisoner?
As soon as I saw the trailer for the movie I knew I had to make some sort of Minion Prisoner dessert and decided on the cake because it gave me the space I needed to really show off the the striped overalls.
I wanted to keep this cake fairly simple so I baked a 9 x 13 inch sheet cake, carved out a Minion shaped oval, and piped stars all over the surface. I love using that decorating technique because it’s so easy and it makes a really great looking cake. I personally find it to be much easier than spreading frosting.
To get the design for this Minion cake, I printed out a picture of a Minion and used it as a guide. I used a knife to mark the cake before frosting it. You can freehand it though being it’s a really simple design.
I had this cake decorated and the video tutorial filmed in about an hour. Not bad for a super cute Minion cake.
My only failure was putting the cake on a cake board that was too small. I decided after I had the Minion’s body decorated that he needed a hat and legs and arms. You can see that they don’t fit on the board I used. Be sure to use a 14 inch x 18 inch or larger board and you won’t have any problems.
Watch this video to see how you can make your own Minion Prisoner Cake.
- 1 9x13 inch baked sheet cake
- 1/3 cup silver gray frosting
- 2 1/2 cups black frosting
- 2 1/2 cups white frosting
- 2 1/2 cups yellow frosting
- Carve a Minion shaped oval out of the cake.
- Reserve all the cake scraps for later.
- Spoon all the frosting colors into individual pastry bags, each fitted with a star tip, reserving about 1/2 cup of the black.
- Place the reserved black frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a #4 round tip.
- Decorate the cake by piping stars all over the surface and sides.
- Start by making two silver gray circles for the Minion's goggles.
- Pipe a small black circle in the middle of those circles then fill in around the black circle using white frosting.
- Pipe a black band on either side of the goggles.
- Pipe yellow above and just below the goggles.
- Pipe on the black and white striped prisoner uniform.
- Pipe a line around the straps to the uniform and pipe on the outline of a pocket in the middle of the uniform.
- Pipe white stars inside the pocket border then pipe on a prisoner number over the white stars using black frosting.
- Pipe on a black smile.
- Glue together the cake scraps using frosting and cut a rectangle prisoner hat out of the scraps.
- Attach the hat to the top of the Minion and pipe on black and white stripes.
- Crumble all the remaining cake scraps and blend together with a tablespoon or two of frosting.
- Use this cake ball mixture to shape two arms, two legs, and two shoes for the Minion.
- Pipe yellow frosting over the arm then pipe on black gloves.
- Pipe white frosting over the legs then black over the shoes.
If you love Minions, you might like to make some of these of the fun Minion snacks. These cute treats will add a touch of whimsy to any Despicable Me party.
If you make this Minion Prisoner Cake and share it online, be sure to link back to this original tutorial giving credit to Hungry Happenings or tag #HungryHappenings on social media.
If you liked this Kid’s Recipe, then you need to check out these other fascinating recipes that your little ones will love!