During the gloomy days of winter when it's hard to get out of bed in the morning, this Good Morning Sunshine Sweet Rolls and Breakfast is the way to go! With Pepperidge Farm Pecan Caramel Sweet Rolls, Florida Orange Juice, eggs, bacon, and fruit this breakfast goes deliciously all out!
Do you deal with dreary winter days well? I don't. I feel sluggish and tired unless the sun is shining, If I wake to a sunbeam streaming into my room, even at 6 a.m., I bounce out of bed, happy to start my day. I'm actually annoyingly cheerful in the morning, at least that's what I've been told.
The same can't be said when clouds block out the sun. On those days, I'd rather pull the covers over my head, roll over, and wait for that sunbeam. But I can't.
So, I have to do things to brighten my day like turning breakfast into a sunny celebration.
I know I'm not alone in this, so when I invited my friend and her daughters over for breakfast this morning, I decided to put together a really cheery-looking spread of food.
I wanted to somehow include some sunshine in the meal, so I got creative and used orange juice to make a simple glaze, then tinted it yellow and orange, and used it to paint a ray of sunshine on small round plates on which I served freshly baked Pepperidge Farm Pecan Caramel Sweet Rolls.
The orange-flavored glaze not only looked bright and cheery but it added a nice refreshing citrus note to the rich and decadent caramel rolls.
I served my breakfast buffet-style, which is kind of my thing. I honestly can't remember a meal that I've served in this house when I just put everything on the table.
I like everyone to gather around my kitchen island to fill their plates, then to sit at the dining room table to enjoy their meal.
Just before my guests were to arrive, I decorated the plates with the glaze suns, then popped the sweet rolls in the oven so that the amazing scent of caramel, toasted pecans, and hot rolls would greet my guests as I opened the door. Take that, grey skies.
To really brighten up the buffet, I printed and cut out some cute smiley face suns and added them to bright orange polka dot paper straws which were used in the orange juice glasses.
To go along with the sweet rolls and o.j. I prepared cheesy scrambled eggs, bacon, and fresh fruit.
The entire Good Morning Sunshine Breakfast really looked cheerful and it was really a fun way to start out a day.
Good Morning Sunshine Sweet Rolls
Ingredients: (makes 4)
1 tube Pepperidge Farms Pecan Caramel Sweet Rolls
3 - 5 tablespoons Florida Orange Juice
yellow food coloring
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
orange food coloring
8 jumbo candy eyes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Open a tube of sweet rolls.
- Unroll the sweet rolls and then squeeze the caramel filling over the strips of dough then sprinkle on the chopped pecans.
- Roll back up and set rolls on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
I did this, as opposed to using the package instructions, because I really wanted the swirl pattern to show on my sweet rolls. If you follow the instructions, the top of the rolls will have a dark brown caramel glaze on top and lots of pecan pieces. I just think it looks better with more swirls showing on my sunshine plate.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden brown.
- While the rolls are baking, stir 3 tablespoons of orange juice and 1-2 drops of yellow food coloring into the sifted powdered sugar.
- Add 1 teaspoon of orange juice at a time, until you get a glaze that is thin enough to pour, but thick enough to hold its shape.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of yellow glaze in the center of each of the 4 round plates.
- Spread it out into a circle that will be a few inches larger than the baked rolls.
- Color the remaining glaze orange.
- Pour glaze into a small zip-top bag.
- Snip open a small hole in one tip of the bag.
- Pipe triangular rays around the yellow glaze circles to create a ray of sunshine.
- For the best results, pipe the border, then pipe around the yellow circle.
- Allow that to harden a few minutes, then fill in the sunbeams.
- When the rolls come out of the oven, allow them to cool for a minute, then set one on each decorated plate and add candy eyes.
- Serve while the rolls are still warm.
Click on the link above if you'd like to print out the Smiley Face Sunshine Printable.
More Fun Breakfast Ideas from Hungry Happenings
Embrace the beautiful weather that we are having and make some of these gorgeous and scrumptious Summer Fun Recipes.