Turn soft and delicate homemade cream biscuits into pretty daisies for Mother’s Day, using them to make Biscuit Daisy BBQ Sandwiches filled Farm Rich Smokehouse BBQ Pulled Pork, Chicken or Beef Brisket. This post is sponsored by Farm Rich. And be sure to keep reading for details on their #RealLifeMOMent Mother’s Day Spa Escape Giveaway.
When I think of my mom, I can’t help but visualize flowers.
As an artist, my mother has specialized in painting florals during her whole career. Her gorgeous roses, irises, magnolias, and daisies adorn my walls and those of all my family members.
I am so blessed to be greeted every morning by an exquisite set of paintings that hang on my bedroom walls, each one is filled with beautiful flowers.
So, when I decided to make a festive meal befitting my mom for Mother’s Day, I couldn’t help but transform something into a flower.
I chose to make daisy shaped homemade biscuits topped with pulled pork. My mom adores pork or beef topped with lots of barbecue sauce and would be happy to eat it at almost every meal.
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. I love BBQ too and think it pairs wonderfully with freshly baked biscuits.
My mom puts her heart and soul into her paintings, spending days making them just right, but when it comes to food, she wants convenience. Anything that tastes great but is quick and easy is right up her alley.
So, I went back to the store to grab a few boxes. Being the Pulled Beef Brisket was her favorite, I planned to buy that, but it’s so popular that it was sold out. I grabbed two boxes of Pulled Pork BBQ instead, but didn’t realize that one was in a Carolina Style Mustard Sauce, not a traditional BBQ sauce.
What a happy mistake to have made.
I had just finished decorating and baking these pretty yellow daisy biscuits when I pulled the pork from the freezer and noticed the two packages were different. I heated them both, and my husband came into the kitchen to see what smelled so good.
Now he is not a fan of traditional barbecue sauce, nor does he like pork, but he will put mustard on anything, so he just had to try it. I made him a sandwich, which he quickly devoured, then asked for another. He didn’t have to say another word. I knew it was good.
After I snapped my pictures, I tried a sandwich too. I was impressed. The sauce was unlike anything I had ever tasted, and I wanted more. I am excited to have found a pulled pork that my husband enjoys too.
Biscuit Daisy BBQ Sandwiches
I made two versions of the daisy biscuits and hope my mom loves them both. One is painted with food coloring the other is simply cut with a daisy cutter and imprinted with tear drop and a round cutters.
Either way you make them, they look quite pretty and if you use the cream biscuit recipe below, you will have lovely soft biscuits on which to serve your pulled pork.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- optional, yellow and green food coloring
- Farm Rich Smokehouse BBQ Pulled Pork, Beef Brisket or Chicken
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Pour in whipping cream and stir just to combine.
- Pour out onto a flour dusted cutting board.
- Knead for 30 seconds until the dough is smooth.
- Roll out to 3/4 inch thickness and cut out daisies using a 4 or 5 inch cutter.
- Re-roll once and cut out more daisies.
- Set daisies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush a green circle in the middle of each daisy then brush on yellow petals.
- Or, press a small round cookie cutter in the center of each daisy then press a small tear drop cutter in the center of each petal.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Cut open and fill with Smokehouse BBQ.
This recipe is adapted from Cooks Illustrated.
To make the pretty yellow daisy biscuits, cut the dough using a 4 or 5 inch daisy cutter. When you cut, do not twist the cutter, as this will crimp the edges and your biscuits wont rise much.
Then use a food use only paint brush to paint yellow food coloring onto the petals and a green circle in the middle of each daisy.
The colors will darken as the biscuits brown. If you get too much coloring on the dough, remove it with a paper towel.
To make the imprinted biscuits you’ll need a tear drop shaped cutter and a small round cutter.
Press the round cutter into the center of each daisy, then press the tear drop cutter in the middle of each petal.
Which daisy biscuit do you think your mom will like better?
Do you have a sentimental or humorous story about your mom that you’d like to share? Farm Rich is hosting a Mother’s Day Contest and four lucky winners will each receive a spa day for them and their mom just for sharing your “Mom Moments.” Be sure to check it out on the Farm Rich Facebook page.
- Contest Dates: April 28th (9 AM EDT) through May 8th (11:59 PM EDT)
- Entry page:The giveaway is live on the Farm Rich Facebook page here (if viewing on mobile, please use: http://bit.ly/1ST5ATd)
- To Enter: There are a number of ways to enter, including sharing your #RealLifeMOMoment” or following Farm Rich on Instagram via the contest page
- Prize:4 winners will receive a spa day for two (perhaps your Mom or someone special in your life!)
Also be sure to stop by and check out all the great tips/hacks and recipes at FarmRich.com.
I received free product and compensation for sharing this recipe and edible craft recipe with you, but all the opinions expressed her are my own.
Your mom deserves the world and she has earned lots and lots of treats. So check out some more Mother’s Day Recipes and let her relax in a pool of desserts.