Veggie Pizza Fish
This summer when you host a pool or beach party make sure the food you serve is as fun as the entertainment. Your guests will flip over this brightly colored Veggie Pizza Fish.
When the weather forecast called for sunshine yesterday, I couldn’t resist heading to my friend’s house to throw a pool party for her and her kids. We’ve been waiting all summer to have this party and our schedules and the sunshine finally lined up.
In the morning I took a little time to create this cute Veggie Pizza Fish to serve as an appetizer. For lunch we dined on grilled pizzas and enjoyed refreshing pink lemon-aid before devouring a Strawberry Kiwi Fruit Pizza Watermelon for dessert.
The entire lunch was amazing and although our bellies were incredibly full, the temperatures soared, so we couldn’t wait to jump into the pool. We spent hours splashing around while enjoying the bright sunshine. That was until it disappeared. Ugly black clouds rolled in so quickly that we barely had time to dry off before the rumbling thunder began and the rain drops hit the ground.
We were happy we took advantage of the sun while it was out. We all had a great afternoon.
I’ll be sharing more about this fun party soon, but thought I’d start by showing you how to make one of these adorable Veggie Pizza Fish for your next pool or beach party.
Stop by Monday to check out the entire pool party and to get a recipe for a wonderful grilled pizza. Then later in the week I’ll show you how to turn a large sugar cookie and some kiwi and strawberries into a super cute Fruit Pizza Watermelon.
To make this decorated fish veggie pizza you can draw out any fish you like or you can print out my Veggie Pizza Fish Template.
I used Pillsbury Pizza Dough, but you could also use Crescent Rolls or make your own homemade pizza dough. Unroll the dough and make sure the fish template fits, then pop it in a 425° F oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
Let the crust cool a bit then set the template over top and cut out around it. Clean up the rough edges using kitchen shears.
Spread veggie cream cheese over the entire crust.
Use a toothpick to draw the detail lines in the cream cheese to use as a guide for placement of your vegetables.
Slice the rainbow carrots really thin. I used a mandolin which worked great and was really quick.
To make the scales on the fish, start at the tail and place a bright orange carrot slice at the tip, then overlap part of that carrot slice with a light orange carrot slice then overlap that one with a yellow carrot slice. Continue making lines of carrots filling in the body area of the fish.
When you get to the edge of the fish’s face, cut the carrot slices so they curve around the edge.
Once you’ve created all the rows of scales, fill in the tail using purple carrots. The purple carrots have yellow centers which looks really cool on the fish.
Cut thin strips of red bell peppers and start arranging them on the fin areas.
Use kitchen shears to cut off any pepper that overlaps the edge of the pizza.
Fill in the face with finely chopped yellow peppers.
To make the eyes, you can cut two ovals from a slice of white cheese or you can use cream cheese. If the cream cheese is cold and firm, cut it into ovals. If it’s soft, then put it in a pastry bag and pipe two ovals onto the fish’s face.
Cut one jumbo olive in half and set one half on each white ovals to create eyes. Cut slivers of an olive to create eyebrows.
Cut a large spinach leaf along the stem or cut a green onion to create the smile.
Your Veggie Pizza Fish is now ready. Cover it and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- 1 tube Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust or homemade pizza dough
- 4 ounces veggie cream cheese
- 4 rainbow carrots (bright orange, light orange, yellow, and purple)
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 slice white cheese or 1 slice of very cold cream cheese (from an 4 ounce block)
- 2 jumbo black olives
- 1 large spinach leaf or 1 green onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Unroll pizza dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow crust to cool completely.
- Cut out using the Fish Template.
- Spread veggie cream cheese over fish shaped crust.
- Finely slice carrots.
- Arrange carrots to form scales on the body of the fish.
- Cut red peppers into thin strips.
- Arrange peppers over fins and cut off excess using kitchen shears.
- Finely chop yellow pepper and sprinkle over face of fish.
- Cut 2 large ovals from the white cheese or cream cheese. You can also pipe the cream cheese on, if you prefer.
- Cut one jumbo olive in half and set one piece on each white oval creating eyes.
- Set eyes on fish's face.
- Cut two thin slivers from the other black olive to create eyebrows over the eyes.
- Cut the stem from the spinach leaf or cut a green onion into a thin strip and create a mouth.
- Refrigerate until needed.