Graduation Party Appetizers – Grad Cap Sandwich
Use Nature’s Own Life® 40 Calories Wheat or 100% Whole Grain Sugar Free Bread to create fun grad cap sandwiches to celebrate your child’s graduation. These festive graduation party appetizers are simple to make and will wow your guests and graduate. This post is sponsored by Nature’s Own Life®. All opinions are my own.
Whether your child is graduating from kindergarten, high school or college, they are sure to smile when they are served one of these cute grad cap sandwiches. These sandwiches would make great appetizers for a party or a special lunch or snack for your graduate.
To make my sandwiches I started with 2 slices of Nature’s Own Life® 100% Whole Grain Sugar Free (you could also use their 40 Calories Wheat Bread). Each slice of the 100% Whole Grain Sugar Free bread has 11 grams of whole grain per slice and is a good source of fiber. The 40 Calories Wheat bread has only 40 calories per slice and has three times the fiber and 20 percent less sodium compared to other enriched breads so I will feel good about serving it to my family and friends.
I topped the bread with some light veggie cream cheese and oven roasted turkey slices to make a wholesome sandwich that I’d be happy to serve to party guests or to a child for lunch.
Imagine how excited your kindergarten graduate would be to find this lunch waiting on the kitchen table on the last day of school or at a graduation celebration. If your child doesn’t love the toppings that I used, the sandwich could easily be made using their favorite flavored cream cheese and lunch meat or any variety of nut butter and jelly or chocolate spread.
Making the sandwich is pretty easy, but it took me a while to figure out how to make it work just right so follow the step-by-step instructions in the recipe. Here’s a visual guide to help you, as well.
- 2 slices Nature’s Own Life® 100% Whole Grain Sugar Free or 40 Calories Wheat Bread
- 1-2 tablespoons light veggie cream cheese
- 1-2 slices thin cut oven roasted turkey
- 5 thin strips of white cheese (from string cheese or white cheese slices)
- Cut off and discard the crust from one slice of bread.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the bread.
- Cut the bread into 3 equal size rectangles, trimming them to make them all the same width (about an inch).
- Spread a thin layer of light veggie cream cheese over all three of the rectangles.
- Overlap two of the short ends, sticking the two rectangles together.
- Cut turkey slices the same size as the rectangles and set them on top of the two attached rectangles.
- Starting at one short end, roll up the turkey & cream cheese topped bread into a spiral.
- Press the remaining rectangle over the seam.
- The bread will not completely wrap around the bread, but the seam will be covered and the spiral will stay in place.
- Set the sandwich spiral on the counter so the spiral shows on top then spread a thick layer of veggie cream cheese over top.
- Cut a small 3/4 inch circle and a large 2 1/2 inch square out of the second slice of bread.
- Press the square on top of the spiral.
- Cut very thin strips of string cheese or white cheese and attach them to the middle of the square using a dab of the cream cheese.
- Allow the cheese to dangle over the edge of the square bread crating the grad cap's tassels.
- Cut the end of the cheese tassels so they don't touch the counter.
- Flatten the circle a bit so that it's not too tall and spread some cream cheese on one side.
- Flip it over and press it down over in the middle of the square so that it covers the ends of the cheese strips.
If you are making these Graduation Party Appetizers for a crowd you can make them before your guests arrive and place them in an airtight container and then refrigerate them for up to a few hours before serving.
If you make your grad cap sandwiches with peanut butter and jelly then they can sit on the counter for several hours. If you don’t want to use the cheese to make the tassels on the cap for the PB&J version, you can cut strips of fruit leather to use instead. The tassels will have some color which could look really cute.
Nature’s Own Life® is a new line of breads that are now available in grocery stores across the country. Check their product locator for a store near you. They have all these varieties to choose from, which give you solutions to address a variety of health and wellness needs: Wheat+Protein, 7 Sprouted Grains, Double Fiber Wheat, 100% Whole Grain Sugar Free, 40 Calories Honey Wheat and the 40 Calories Wheat.
I love that these breads DO NOT contain any artificial preservatives, colors, flavors, or high fructose corn syrup and they are priced from $3.29-$3.59 per loaf (prices may vary by retailer).
To learn more about Life® breads, visit www.naturesownbread.com/life.
I was compensated by Nature’s Own Life® to create and share this fun Graduation Party Appetizer with you but all the opinions expressed within this post are my own. I will only share projects using products that I use myself and am happy to promote.
If you are having a graduation party this year, be sure to check out these other graduation party appetizers and treats.