Warm the hearts and fill the bellies of your holiday party guests by serving a festive Christmas appetizer. When you pull this Skillet Dip Snowman out of the oven everyone will “ooh” and “ahh,” before ripping off pieces of salty bread so they can scoop up the creamy chicken dip in the middle.
Making fun looking food to serve at a party can really enhance your guest’s experience, but I know many of you just don’ have a lot of time to devote to creating complicated edible crafts.
Well, this recipe is for you.
The dip and ring of salty dinner rolls can be whipped up in about 15 minutes, popped into the oven while you get ready for your guests to arrive, and decorated in a snap before they do.
To keep this recipe super simple, I used store bought bread dough and a 5 ingredient dip, then decorated it using a carrot and some black olives.
Being snowmen are white, I needed a dip that was too.
Fortunately my family’s favorite dip is rather white. It’s simply chicken breast, blended with cream cheese, Miracle Whip, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce.
Rarely, do we have a family function without it, but it’s always served with crackers, so this year, I’m going to surprise everyone and serve it with bread instead.
I’m sure many of you will have a favorite dip that would work well too and I’ve love to hear about it in the comments section below the post .
SKILLET DIP SNOWMAN
- SKILLET DIP SNOWMAN
- 1 tube Pillsbury French Bread dough (or 11-14 ounces of your favorite bread dough)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- sea salt or kosher salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 12 ounces shredded chicken (1 large can)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 extra large black olives
- 1 carrot
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush some butter on the inside of a 10 inch skillet.
- Cut bread dough into 12 slices.
- Roll each slice into balls.
- Arrange the balls around the edge of the skillet.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle on some salt.
- Combine the cream cheese, shredded chicken, Miracle Whip, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Spoon dip into the center of the skillet.
- Spread it into an even layer so that it touches the edge of the bread balls.
- Bake for 32-38 minutes until the bread is baked through and lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, cut 7 round slices from 4 of the black olives.
- Cut the carrot into a 3-4 inch pointed piece.
- Remove the skillet from oven and brush more butter over the bread pieces.
- Decorate the dip with 2 whole black olive eyes, one carrot nose, and 7 black olive buttons in the smile.
- Serve and enjoy.
You must use a 10 inch oven safe non-stick skillet to make this dip. The handle of the skillet must be able to withstand high heat.
To make the ring of salty bread, simply cut a tube of French Bread dough into 12 equal pieces.
Roll the pieces into balls, pinching the seams together as needed then arrange them around the edge of the pan.
Spoon the chicken dip in the center of the skillet and spread out so it touches the bread dough and bake it until the bread is baked through.
The dip will be slightly browned when you remove it from the oven. I wanted my dip to look white, so I stirred it up so that the browned bits get mixed in.
To decorate the snowman you’ll need two whole extra large olives, one small tip of a carrot for the nose, and 7 small round pieces of olive. You can cut the olives using a round plunger cutter or simply slice off round pieces from the sides of the olives.
Add the decorations to the top of the dip and serve while it’s hot.
This recipe was so popular last year that I made a video this year (2106).
I hope you enjoyed watching that as much as I did making it. I can’t believe it took me so long to learn how to make videos. I really love that you an see exactly how I’m making something. I hope it’s making it easier for your to replicate my ideas at home.
You might also like to make some of these festive holiday appetizers:
Mini Melting Snowman Cheese Balls • Spinach Artichoke Fritatta Trees
Green Pesto Crescent Roll Christmas Trees • Parmesan Artichoke Cheesecake Countdown Clock
Cheese Filled Fried Won Ton Clocks • Mediterranean Pinwheels
They would go great with a hot bubbly Skillet Snowman Dip.