It’s so easy to brighten up your cereal treat recipe and to make them more fun. These Rainbow Rice Krispie Treat Pinwheels will be the hit at your next party or holiday celebration.
Making rice krispie treats is so super easy that transforming them into cute holiday treats or colorful pinwheels, in this case, doesn’t require a whole lot more effort. The basic recipe has three ingredients and a whole pan of the marshmallow cereal treats can be created and ready to serve in about 10 minutes.
I love using the easy-to-make cereal treats as a basis for a lot of my fun food crafts, and have shared over 3 dozen different rice krispie treat food craft recipes with you over the years. You’d think by now I would have run out of fresh new ideas, but they just keep popping into my head.
As I was making my Rainbow Peeps Cereal Treats last week, I started to think about other ways to make a festive looking rainbow cereal treat.
Over the past year I’ve made and shared a few recipes for rice krispie treat pinwheels and thought I’d use that technique to make a rainbow swirled treat. It took quite a bit of experimenting before I landed on just the right amount of marshmallows, butter, and Rice Krispies Cereal to use for each color and the correct size pan to use to make nicely sized pinwheels.
For my other cereal treat pinwheels I’ve made them quite large, but this time I wanted the pinwheels to be about the same size as a traditional bar. In the past I’ve also layered the colors then rolled them up, but I’ve only used 2 or 3 colors which worked out well. When I tried to roll 6 layers it just wouldn’t work. Even with thin layers it was hard to roll.
So, I had to figure out a better way and after a few more attempts I finally decided that creating stripes of colors in a large 12×18 inch pan worked the best.
This recipe from start to finish takes about 20 minutes. That may be twice as long as the traditional recipe, but look at the results. If you serve these at a birthday party or share them with family and friends on Easter or St. Patrick’s Day, I’m pretty sure everyone is going to be amazed.
The swirls of color add so much fun to the cereal treats and each batch will make 12-18 treats, depending on how thick you make the slices.
Watch the VIDEO TUTORIAL to see how you can make these Rainbow Rice Krispie Treat Pinwheels at home.
- I wore food handling gloves which I buttered well and nothing stuck to them. If you aren’t wearing gloves, butter your hands well.
- I find it easiest to use my hands to mix the cereal into the marshmallow.
- If you do that then be sure your hands are clean before mixing each color. You don’t want to blend the colors together.
- If you wear gloves that are buttered nothing will stick!!!
- If you want to see larger swirls of color, make your stripes going across the short side of your pan.
- You can melt two bowls of marshmallows in the microwave at a time. Heat them a bit longer, if needed.
You can find items needed to make these Rainbow Rice Krispie Treat Pinwheels on Amazon.com. I earn a small commission for any sales at no additional cost to you, which helps offset the costs of creating and sharing my recipes, so thanks for using the links below.
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus more to grease pan
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and pink food coloring
- Run a line of butter around the inside edges of a 12 x 18 inch baking pan.
- Set a piece of parchment or wax paper down on the pan then rub more butter over it.
- Set aside.
- Equally divide the marshmallows (a heaping cup of each) into 6 microwave safe bowls.
- Cut the butter into 1/2 tablespoon pieces and set one piece in each bowl of marshmallows.
- Heat each bowl on high power for 45-75 seconds until melted.
- Remove and stir.
- Repeat, melting all the marshmallows.
- Add purple coloring to one bowl and stir until well combined.
- Add one of each of the remaining colors to the remaining bowls of marshmallow.
- Stir 1 cup of Rice Krispies Cereal into each bowl.
- Scoop the purple cereal treat mixture out of the bowl and stretch it out over the long edge of the prepared pan.
- Flatten it into a 2 inch wide strip.
- Add a blue strip next to the purple one then add a green, then yellow, orange, and pink strip.
- Press the seams together so the colored strips are well sealed.
- Run a knife or plastic scraper around the edge of the pan loosening the cereal treat.
- Carefully flip the pan over allowing the rainbow rice krispie treat to fall out onto your work surface.
- Peel the paper off the treat.
- Begin rolling the treat along the long edge (either the purple or pink strip).
- Roll it, pinching together any cracks, until you have an 18 inch long log.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into 12-18 slices and they are ready to serve.
You might also like these other fun Rice Krispie Treat recipes and food crafts.
Red & Green Rice Krispies Treat Pinwheels • Red, White & Blue Rice Krispie Treat Pinwheels
Cocoa Crispy Treat Peanut Butter Fudge Pinwheels • Rainbow Peeps Cereal Treats
Rice Krispie Treat Chicks • Rice Krispie Treat Dolphins
Rice Krispie Treat Coffee Mugs • Cocoa Krispies Treat Easter Bunnies