Give a classic summer recipe a fun twist. These sweet and tart Key Lime Pie Cannoli are simple to make using just 4 ingredients and don’t need to be cut into slices when serving so they are perfect for an outdoor party, a pot-luck, or even a bridal shower.
I personally am not a fan of lime and wouldn’t order key lime pie for dessert ever, but my husband, mom, and best friend all rank it up there in their favorite desserts of all time, so I decided to recreate one of my most popular recipes using key lime pie filling to make them happy.
Last summer I created Lemon Meringue Pie Cannoli and they were such a hit that I’ve been meaning to recreate them using a different filling. When I asked my husband what filling he’s like me to use he didn’t even hesitate. His vote was for key lime pie filling.
I figured Key Lime Pie Cannoli would be the perfect dessert to bring to Easter dinner. My mom will be so excited that she just might skip eating dinner so she can indulge in dessert.
Being I wanted to keep this recipe super simple with as few ingredients as possible I chose to use store bought Pillsbury Pie Crusts and key lime curd. Well, actually I used Clearbrook Farms Key Lime Fruit-Tart (affiliate link) filling because I could buy it at the grocery store. I couldn’t find any key lime curd locally, but the Clearbrook filling has a wonderful tart taste and similar texture to a curd and my husband said it has a great flavor.
You can order key lime curd online or make homemade if you’d rather use that.
I mixed a bit of whipped topping into the lime pie filling to give it a lighter texture and to add a bit of sweetness. My husband preferred the pie filling right out of the jar but it was a bit too thin and oozed out of the pie crust cannoli shell. If you are going to serve the cannoli within a few hours of making the filling, you can use homemade whipped cream, if you prefer.
Here’s a quick video tutorial showing you how to make these simple summer desserts.
You can find the Key Lime Fruit-Tart filling or key lime curd on Amazon. I earn a small commission for sales at no additional cost to you, so thanks for using the links below.
You’ll need 8 cannoli forms if you use 2 pie crusts.
- 1 box Pillsbury Pie Crust (2 dough rounds)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup key lime pie filling or curd
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Thaw pie dough according to package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 8 cannoli forms with non-stick baking spray.
- Unroll pie dough and cut four 4 1/2 inch circles from each crust.
- Make an egg wash by whisking the egg and water together.
- Wrap one pie dough circle around each cannoli form sealing the edges of the dough with egg wash.
- Set on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Remove and bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then carefully remove them from the cannoli forms. Let them cool completely.
- Stir together the key lime pie filling or curd with the whipped topping.
- Spoon into a disposable pastry or zip top bag.
- Just before serving, snip the tip off the pastry bag and pipe the pie filling into the pie crust cannoli shells.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the cannoli and serve.